Saturday 3 March 2012

Poems (Various)

Translated by Red Pine:

Traveling on the Yangtze

So close but plagued by wind and rain
I can't climb Kuanglushan
I wonder if in those mist-hidden caves
any Six Dynasty monks still dwell

by Ch'ien Hsu

The Meditation Hall behind Poshan Temple

I entered an ancient temple at dawn
the rising sun lit the tall trees
a trail led off to a secluded place
to a meditation hall in a flowering wood
where mountain light pleased the hearts of birds
and pond reflections stilled men's minds
the ten thousand noises were hushed
all I heard was a bell

by Ch'ang Chien

Written at the Sungting Relay Station

Hill shapes merge with the far-off sky
east of the mist-covered marshlands
the ocean glows with the day's first light
the river turns white in the distant wind
steep trails lead to a high plateau
small paths link columns of smoke
why are all my retired friends
not here among the Five Lakes

by Chang Hu

Climbing a Mountain

All day I feel lost as if drunk or in a dream
the I hear spring is over and force myself to climb
passing a bamboo courtyard I meet a monk and talk
and spend another afternoon beyond this floating life

by Li She

Helped to inspire this post: http://skyraft.wordpress.com/2012/03/03/dragon-breath-river/


1 comment:

  1. These are lovely, as was the dragon Breath River journey that helped inspire them.I can only judge them by what they have become in English, and they certainly work on their own merits, however close, or not, they are to the intention and language of the originals.

    ReplyDelete