Saturday 11 June 2011

Richard Brautigan "A High Building in Singapore".

It's a high building in Singapore that holds the only beauty for this San Francisco day where I am walking down the street, feeling terrible and watching my mind function with the efficiency of a liquid pencil.

A young mother passes by talking to her little girl who is really too small to talk, but she's talking anyway and very excitedly to her mother about something. I can't quite make out what she is saying because she's so little.

I mean, this is a tiny kid.

Then her mother answers her to explode my day with a goofy illumination. "It was a high building in Singapore," she says to the little girl who enthusiastically replies like a bright sound-coloured penny, " Yes, it was a high building in Singapore!"

Written by Richard Brautigan, part of the collection "Revenge of the Lawn". Published by Rebel Inc, Canon Gate, 1997. First published 1972. 

No comments:

Post a Comment